Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The HIgh Cost of Counting People


So the census is now heading into its final days.

It's been a good run for most of the mass media outlets. One source I saw said we (taxpayers, that is), paid nearly $140 per person.

I'm not certain that's the correct amount, but I do know that there were a lot of sponsored announcements on radio, TV and in the newspapers. Since they were paid, the media must have made a bundle. Good for them, bad for taxpayers.

Seems to me that the media would have cooperated nicely, as they have in the past, to make certain we were all aware of the fact that there was a census being taken. And they would have done it for free.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of the initial returns for the last census versus the returns for the current census. Bet there wouldn't be much difference...except for the amount of money being spent this time.

Having a media background, I'm delighted with the amount of money being spent in the various media.

Being a taxpayer, I'm saddened.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home